09 Jan How To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
National Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Awareness
The CDC has named January as the deadliest month for carbon monoxide poisoning. On average, at least two people die each day from carbon monoxide poisoning during the month of January. Over 400 people die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning each year. To honor the victims of carbon monoxide poisoning, January is known as National Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Awareness
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas. Therefore, it is often called the “silent killer.” Burning gas, wood, propane, charcoal, and other fuel produces the deadly gas. Carbon Monoxide is dangerous when allowed to build up in a poorly ventilated room. Cold weather increases the use of gas-powered furnaces as well as the use of risky heating and sources of energy such as portable generators.
Be aware of the following symptoms of CO poisoning:
Nausea or vomiting
Shortness of breath
Loss of consciousness
How To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
It’s time to start thinking about protecting yourself against carbon monoxide poisoning! Every year, it is imperative to have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil or charcoal-burning appliance inspected and serviced by a qualified technician. You should always properly ventilate your chimney. We know it’s getting chilly but remember never to heat a house with a gas oven! Even if the door is open, don’t let a vehicle idle in the garage. Running a portable generator in the house can also be a fatal mistake.
The only safe way to detect carbon monoxide in your home is with a CO detector. You should check or replace the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector twice a year. Additionally, the CO detector should be replaced entirely every five years. Properly equip your home with CO alarm on every level and in sleeping areas. Consider purchasing a detector with a digital display. A digital display allows you to see if CO is present and respond before it becomes a dangerous situation.
If a CO detector sounds, leave your home immediately and get everyone into fresh air. Always call 911!