06 Jun Insuring Your Swimming Pool
Swimming pools are one of the best things about the summer, but have you heard of swimming pool insurance? They can be a great addition to a backyard and can elevate the value of the home itself. However, pools add increased liability to the homeowner. Here at AWS Insurance, we know how exactly how each addition should be protected.
Home insurance policies include a certain amount of liability. The Insurance Information Institute recommends that homeowners should increase their liability coverage to between $300,000 and $500,000. In the US, approximately nine people die every day from drowning. Adolescents between the ages of 15 and 25 and children under five are at the highest risk of drowning, and more than 43,000 people are injured because of pools each year. Homeowners are responsible for taking reasonable measures to protect young children from the potential danger posed by an addition such a swimming pool.
Pools can be enjoyable for the whole family but pose a high-risk danger. Your family and guests can avoid accidents at your pool by implementing safe practices.
Here are some safety rules to keep you and your family safe this summer at the pool:
- Access to the pool should be fenced in to discourage use without your knowledge.
- Install non-slick surfaces around the pool and enforce a no-running zone.
- Never swim alone.
- Do not dive into an above-ground pool or the shallow end of an in-ground pool.
- Always have a phone nearby for emergencies.
- Never leave children around the pool without adult supervision.
- Keep electrical devices away from the pool.
- Don’t swim if you are under the influence, tired, or directly after eating.
- Stay out of the pool during storms.
If you need extra protection this summer for your at home watering-hole, trust AWS! We have an excellent, hard-working, experienced staff that is ready to make it easier for you to relax during this sunny summer!