NOAA Preps for 2017 Hurricane Season

NOAA Plane Image

NOAA Preps for 2017 Hurricane Season

Before satellites were used to find and track storms, military aircraft made regular reconnaissance flights to check for severe tropical weather. Although satellites are the preferred way to monitor for storms, they cannot provide information on the interior barometric pressure of a hurricane or accurately provide wind speed information. The information gathered from Hurricane Hunter flights into storms aids forecasters in making predictions that help people prepare.

The Atlantic Hurricane season begins on June 1, and The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s planes are being moved to their new home base to prepare. Currently, the Hurricane Hunter aircraft is housed at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, FL. The Air Force realized they needed the hangar space and informed NOAA that they had to move the aircraft. On May 1, the planes will be moved to Lakeland, FL. During their two-year stay at MacDill, two of the Hurricane Hunter planes received upgrades to their engines, wings, and radar.

The aircraft’s new home is a $17.5 million project. The new hangar built to accommodate the large aircraft includes a science lab, an operational hub, and a maintenance shop. Construction on the new hangar began on December 5 to meet the deadline set by the Air Force. The new, bigger hangar is necessary to allow for the Hurricane Hunters to house their nine aircraft.

The Tropical Meteorology Project does not issue its first formal hurricane forecast until early April. Initial outlooks for the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season, however, suggest that there is a 60% chance for an above-normal hurricane season, 30% chance for a near-normal hurricane season and a 10% chance of a below-normal hurricane season. The average Atlantic hurricane season has about 12 named storms. 

Are you prepared for hurricane season? Our knowledgeable agents can help identify steps you could take in order to protect yourself from severe weather.

No Comments

Post A Comment

Melinda Martin

Account Executive

Melinda began her insurance career in 1985 with Alexander & Alexander where she received her Property & Casualty and Life & Health license. Since then she has worked at various agencies in the New Orleans area and in California as a senior account manager for Employee Benefit Plans.  While in California, she was also the Membership Director for the Burbank Chamber of Commerce. Melinda joined the AWS team in July of 2015.

Michael A. Seeling

Vice President

Graduated from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette with a B.A. in Insurance Risk Management and is a graduate of Archbishop Rummel High School in New Orleans. He joined AWS in October of 2008 and has been awarded the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Certification (PPACA). Additionally, he is working towards his Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Registered Health Underwriter (RHU), and Registered Employee Benefits Consultant (REBC) designations. He is also a member of the National Association of Health Underwriters (NAHU), National Association of Insurance Financial Advisors (NAIFA), and is an active member of the Fore!Kids foundation.

Black Friday

Don’t miss out on our biggest sale of the year. Get 70% OFF on our selected products.