08 Oct 5 Most Common Home Insurance Claims
Homeowners insurance can feel just like another bill. But when disasters happen, this extra layer of protection can serve as your lifeboat. We believe that if a homeowner is familiar with the most common homeowners insurance claims and how to prepare for the inevitable you could save yourself from a major headache!
- Bad Weather. Hail, tornadoes, and lightning can really wreck your home. We know that this is especially true in Louisiana! Be sure to properly maintain your roof and siding. Although you can’t stop a hailstorm from happening, you can lessen the damage when it happens.
- Plumbing mishaps. Water damage is also a very common cause of home damage and it doesn’t always stem from heavy rain. An average 2.5-bathroom home has 13 faucets or water sources. As a homeowner, you should be conducting routine maintenance such as inspecting and repairing grout and caulk, removing clumps of hair from a shower drain, or checking and replacing water supply lines for appliances.
- Fires. Fires may be one of the most devastating events on this list. Fires don’t mean just replacing siding or patching up the roof. Fires mean having to move out, find temporary living situations and rebuilding your home. Knowing how to prevent a fire is exceptionally important! With colder weather on the way, your fire risk is about to increase. To avoid a fire in your home, have your chimney inspected and cleaned. It is also important to be alert for any fire risks around the home, which can include space heaters or overloaded extension cords.
- Flooding. Flooding is a nationwide problem. 25% of all flood claims come from properties outside of a flood zone. Flood insurance is very important for every homeowner to have.
- Personal liabilities. Personal liabilities include guests who visit your property and are injured in some way such as tripping over a hazard in your hallway. You can avoid injuring your guests by paying careful attention whenever your pool or trampoline are in use and make sure sidewalks are clear.